Family Night Yoga

Today marks the third time I've taught yoga as a consultant at a local elementary school.  It is the kind of job I had always dreamed of doing.  In my life I desire help others by making a positive difference in someone's life.  It can be hard to slog through every day especially if it doesn't feel like you are making a difference, but you must remember you don't always realize where your path is leading you and how connected we all are.

I didn't seek out this job, it came to me as a doorway.  Over the past few years, Nathan and I had been teaching weekly yoga classes, which we had to unfortunately cancel.  The core group of students was disappointed but trusted that once we found a space and time that worked, they could find us.  One of these dedicated students sent me an email out of the blue.  My teachings had been transformational for her as a principal of an elementary school.  I didn't even know she was a principal!  The school was in a tough neighborhood and many of the students were acting out, stressed and needed social and emotional interventions.  This principal took it upon herself to do a morning mindful minute for her school.  She felt it was worth a try and if it worked for her, maybe it would work for them.  During morning announcements she rings a bell and instructs the students on how to sit up tall, place their feet on the floor and breathe.  Over the past three years, she's given them tools and the seeds she planted are starting to sprout!  She developed a Harmony Room where there is a counselor and it is a safe place for peaceful interventions like aromatherapy, calming music, books, quiet cozy corners and a space to breathe, move, feel and relax.  Teachers are being trained in breathing interventions for kids.  She's getting funding for social and emotional wellness!

She wanted the families and parents to see what they were teaching the kids at school and give them tools to use at home as well! Over the summer the principal approached me and told me the whole journey of starting her first yoga classes with Nathan and I, how they helped her reduce her stress, and how she wanted to be able to share that with the whole school including the families because she felt they would be receptive--and she was right!

Each time I show up, meet families where they are, share some breathing, movement and smiles.  It feels joyful and uplifting for everyone there.  Tonight was family literacy night.  Each student received a take-home journal and I gave them some ideas and prompts to encourage them to write.  I taught about simple affirmations that are positive statements and in the present tense (e.g. I am proud of myself for breathing when I was feeling upset).  I offered a few other ideas like journaling their feelings, noting how they feel before/after breathing, and writing down things they are grateful for.

One of the students excitedly told me, "I know what I am going to write about.  I am going to write that you are my favorite yoga teacher."

Each day is an opportunity and a gift to move through life as a helper.  Smiling at people, offering a simple gesture of kindness, and telling your family and loved ones how much you love them.  Keep doing what you are doing, helpers!  You never know how much it might mean to someone.  Trust in your path.

Here's a journaling prompt from one of my favorite organizations:  gratefulness.org

https://gratefulness.org/question-for-the-day/how-cando-i-honor-the-interconnectedness-of-all-life/

Comments